Starting to make one of a kind Mini-Albums with all the various papers we have from our crafting endeavors. This was the first “Hidden Spine” album I have made and I gotta say I’m absolutely happy with the end result. The hardest part about making this album was deciding which paper to use lol.
First I’d like to give a very special shout out to Anne from www.annespapercreations.com for providing such amazing video tutorials on album construction and Kathy Orta from www.paperphenomenon.com whose inspiring paper craft-work and designs allow me to think outside the box in my own designs. Both provided essential design elements to the production of this mini-album.
The first paper I chose was the French Toile replica B&W card stock. It was part of a single sheet collection that included the stripes, polka-dot, vine and damask papers as well. I used the Ranger Tim Holtz Vintage Photo Distress Ink Pad to add the vintage (aged) look to all the b&w pattern paper that I used.
As this was the first mini-album I was making I wanted to keep the over-all page elements minimal. I decided to do a simple pocket on both the front and back inner covers as well as using expanding flaps to provide more areas to use as photo mats.
Front Inner Cover closed
Front Inner Cover expanded
Back Inner Cover closed
Back Inner Cover expanded
I used Kathy Orta’s “Hidden Spine” technique to make the tabs for the inner pages. The spine is 3″ wide with 11 tabs. I only used 10 of those tabs allowing the middle one to be used for the charm attachment section. I attached envelopes to the tabs to make the inner pages and covered them on one side with the b&w patterned card stock and a metallic card stock on the other alternating between both the pattern paper and the metallic paper.
Copper Metallic & Polka Dots
Antique Gold & Damask
Copper Metallic & Vine Work
The middle pages I wanted to use a “Waterfall” display for smaller photos. There are 5 photo mats with dedicated journal areas on both sides. The paper I used for these were from an 8 x 8 Oriental paper pack that had a lot of distressed and overlapping colors that I felt worked well with the plain b&w pattern paper and metallic’s.
Journal area for Waterfall photo mats.
The middle spine arm provides enough space
for the charms to be stored inside without bulking the album to much.
The remaining pages of the mini album.
Vine Work & Copper Metallic
Damask & Antique Gold
Polka Dots & Copper Metallic’s
Damask & Bronze Metallic
Because I used envelopes for the page base I decided to leave them unsealed with the openings facing towards the front. I attempted to use some magnetic tape to make flaps with the envelopes but they were to weak to use through the card stock. =( Looking into another type of magnet that will hopefully work. As a result I decided to make full page photo mats for all 10 pages. The stamp work turned out really well considering it was stamped three times with different inks to get a 3D effect.
Photo mats slightly pulled out
Photo mats completely removed from sleeves.
Front Photo Mat
Back Photo Mat
For the finally embellishments I add chipboard pieces to the pattern paper and the charm piece to the spine which can dangle on both the outside or the inside of the album. Also added some distressed metal embellishments to the front and back cover to added a little bling to the album.
Over all I’m really pleased with the with the way this album came together and I’ve already started working on a second album that I plan to finish by the end of the week. The measurements of the album are:
- Cover = 5½ x 7¼
- Inside Pages = 5 x 7¼
- Photo Mat Inserts = 4¾ x 7
- Waterfall Photo Mats = 3¼ x 3½